Saturday, August 13, 2005

Snobs Of Lido Island

On this tiny part of Newport Beach, California, lies an area known as Lido Island. Filled with yatchs, multi-million dollar homes, silicon and other expensive crap, is a "secret" restaurant known as the Sabatino's Sausage Company. I heard of it through some close friends who had heard about it through some family members who are apparently notorious for finding hidden eating gems. My wife, son and I joined our friends with great anticipation.

True, it's quite hidden. In fact, it's in the middle of what appears to be a professional office complex. I had mostly outdoor seating, and there were at least 50 or so people waiting to get it. The aroma of sausage filled the air. "Yummy," I thought.

The first sign of something wrong was the waitress. She smiled and blinked repeatedly through those Botox-filled areas of her face, while I ordered water. "Water? That's all." She said. A quick frown, then a generous smile to our friends, who were drinking wine and needed more.

The charade continued shortly, then went to all out rudeness, since we apparently didn't order enough. She semi-rolled her eyes with each request - which, of course, she ignored.

Then the food came. Now, understand that I love sausage. And, Sabatino's sausage was good! BUT, and this is a big BUT, everything else was horrible. My pasta had at least 2 cups of oil (it was more like an oil soup with pasta in it). My friend ordered Oso Buco, which was 80% bone, 15% fat, and 5% meat. The meals were bland, overpriced and not worth it.

So, next time you think you've found a gem, simply because people don't know about it, consider two things: 1) if it's in Lido Island, it probably isn't a gem; and 2) if you pay $10.00 for soup, it's probably crap.

And, if you're going to ignore my advice and try it anyway, don't forget your Sperry Topsiders, khaki shorts and Tommy Bahama's silk shirt - otherwise, you'll feel out of place ;).

~ Brock

4 comments:

LTA said...

I think I'll skip it.

Anonymous said...

Nice site!
[url=http://haftgcpy.com/slwt/bjgp.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://jwsnjmxp.com/vjae/qdra.html]Cool site[/url]

Anonymous said...

Great work!
My homepage | Please visit

Anonymous said...

Great work!
http://haftgcpy.com/slwt/bjgp.html | http://ncwkcqeo.com/tpgr/zzgb.html