Friday, August 19, 2005

Eating Out Versus Eating In

I want to cook at home more often than I do, but convenience usually gets the best of me. I crave a meal, I find I have the ingredients to make it, then I get lazy. I opt for my default: Chinese. Each time I make the decision, I consider the cost.

For me, an average meal costs about $16.00 - $30.00 (excluding spices) to prepare. Here's an example: Salmon fillets $10.00; two limes $1.00; red onion $.80; gorgonzola cheese $2.50; shrimp (bag) $9.00. Yes, I'll have some leftover ingredients, but that's the basic cost for a basic meal = $23.00+. Or, here's a cheaper one: rigatoni $2.00; heavy cream $1.50; butter $1.00; white wine $6.00; chicken breasts $5.00. Now that's much better = $15.50. Either way, making meals at home is not cheap.

Then I consider eating Chinese in Rowland Heights. Noodles $4.00; onion pancake $2.50; rice dish $5.00. Total = $11.50. Or, here's another: dumplings $3.50; two cold dishes $3.00. Total = $6.50. Big difference.

By the way, the numbers don't line up when you consider an American meal like Claim Jumper or CPK. There, the prices are usually higher. Italian is ALWAYS higher.

So that's why I don't always cook at home. I'm not one of those people that goes out to eat and orders high priced plates, soda and wine, salad and appetizer. I share meals with my wife. We never order soda or wine. We never order appetizers. Our bill is rarely over $16.00. It's not because I can't, but because I won't.

Cooking must be a joy, because it's not a convenience, and it's not - contrary to popular belief - always cheap!

~ Brock

No comments: