Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Don't Waste My Wine

As you know, Jason and I recently cracked open a (actually two bottles) Kali Hart Pinot. We were both impressed with it. Well, my wife doesn't drink wine, so when I open a bottle, it usually takes a couple of days to finish it off. By the fourth day, my Kali Hart was dead, but I didn't want to waste it. Hmmmmm? What to do? I know, I'll use it to top grilled salmon!

This was an experiment, of course, but a great one. I made a Pinot-Blueberry-Shallot sauce to top my salmon and here's how I did it.

Heat a tablespoon of olive oil and a tablespoon of butter in a small pot. Once the butter sizzles, add the thinly sliced shallots (about two teaspoons). Fry up until light brown.

Add 1/4 cup of fresh (or frozen) blueberries. Fry up until soft, then mash with fork.

Add 1 - 2 cups Kali Hart Pinot. Bring to a boil, then reduce. Simmer until reduced to about 1/2 or less. It will start to thicken (I let my concoction simmer for about 40 minutes).

Your done! Serve it warm.

I think this sauce works well with red onions and gorgonzola cheese (see following post).

Don't be afraid to use your leftover wine for something interesting. My next experiment will be dessert related.

~ Brock

No comments: