Monday, January 16, 2006

Wine Review:


I have recently made may way through a few bottles from Roessler Cellars. I have seen there wines but hadn't tasted any...and I thought I should change that. Well I am glad I did. The wines are made by the acclaimed Wells Guthrie of Copain Wine Cellars.



2002 Roessler Pinot Noir (Sonoma County)
A really enjoyable Sonoma Coast Pinot. If you like wines with a toasty dark fruit profile, this is for you. You can immediately smell tobacco and a hint of coffee mixed with blackberry. Flavors follow the aromas. Not much acidity to this wine and so I don’t think it stands up to food very well but if you are just looking for some hedonist pleasure, give this wine a try. Drink now.
91 pts


2003 Roessler Pinot Noir Red Label (Sonoma County)
Very similar to the 2002 but maybe not as well integrated. With a little more bottle time should be very comparable to the previous year. The only distinct difference at this point is the aroma of burnt rubber. Reminded me of something from Spain.
90 pts


2002 Roessler Pinot Noir Sangiacomo Vineyard
This was nice but I think it needs some time. Lots of sweet cherry and a touch of earth on the nose. The attack was sweet and tart when I first opened the wine. There was also a lot of heat, which I really dislike. So I poured a full glass and went to cook dinner. After an hour things started to integrate. Red fruit mixed with a small amount of citrus. Medium to high acidity. As more time went by some earthy flavors showed up. This is on the border for me. My thought is that with a couple of years the flavors will integrate and it will an incredible value.
89 pts (I think there is big upside here and in a few years I may want to revisit my score.)


2003 Roessler Pinot Noir La Brisa (Sonoma Coast)
Well this one was a miss for me. Where I felt the previous 3 wines showed bold concentrated flavors, I thought the La Brisa was relatively simple. The nose was completely muted. Mild flavors of cherry and green tea. It is a decent wine but a step down from the other 3.
85 pts


So keep an eye out for Roessler.

Cheers,

Jason

No comments: