Thursday, January 12, 2006

Proof That You Can Eat Like A Pig and Still Kick Butt

If you've followed my posts about pre-event eating, then you know I was scheduled to race a triathlon on October 9. You also know that I didn't change any of my eating habits, including eating butter, fat, red meat, wine and chocolate on an almost daily basis. So what happened? Welcome to the gun show!

On a serious note, I finished slower than I thought I would, but still did well. I really noticed a lack of energy and fatigue. Of course it probably didn't help that I had bronchitis for the month leading up to the race, and hadn't exercised in six weeks prior to the race. In the end, it's not a good message, because I know I can do well in a race without proper diet or exercise. What message does that send?

So, I'm thinking of running a marathon in March 2006. I was also thinking of modifying my diet. Not to remove the good things...are you crazy? Just to limit my intake. I was thinking that if I lost about 15 pounds, I would do just fine. What do you think?

No comments: