Monday, January 09, 2006

Chronicles of Narnia Disappoints

It's like I'm not allowed to say it. Like I'll be struck down. But be honest, didn't you feel like you were watching a happy Lord of the Rings spinoff? I mean, C.S. Lewis wrote an amazing book; an amazing collection of books. All I saw on the screen was a film using the expensive theatrics typical to every other big budget film. I didn't see the nuances of the story. I didn't see the details from the book. I didn't see the real deal. All I saw was the "wow" factor.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that it can't be executed nicely. In Lord of the Rings, the Fellowship of the Ring, there are many parts of the book that do not appear in the movie. It's a practical problem that I understand. But, when you watch Fellowship of the Ring, you get to know people. You see the story along with the "wow" F/X. It just didn't seem to happen in this film.

Maybe I'm being critical. It's just my opinion. I wish I would have watched Memoirs of a Geisha instead.

Happy movie-going!

~ Brock

2 comments:

Traci said...

What?? We are so excited about seeing it this next weekend. I'll let you know what I think!

I'll tell you one thing...King Kong was a bust! I'm so tired of these movies where it takes forever to get to the story. Just a lot of filler in this one! I'm guessing about an hour in before you see the little monkey! UUUGggg! TOO much of Jack Black goes a long way!

Brock Shinen, Esq. said...

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I'm being critical because I can. It's an enjoyable film either way.