Sunday, January 01, 2006

Recipe: Chicken Salad


This is one of the staples in our house. I think it is an amalgamation of something my mom taught me. A simple salad with broiled or grilled chicken over the top. I like to use a crisp lettuce like romaine because it holds up against the other ingredients. As far as wine, I can’t really give the perfect match. If you’re like me and drink red with almost anything, I would go for a fruit forward Pinot Noir or a Beaujolais. Have a bit of a chill on the wine. For a white, if you are looking for something with richness, go with a Chardonnay otherwise try a Pinot Gris (just guessing, as I haven’t tried it).

Chicken Pre-Prep: Rinse chicken and trim fat. If I am grilling it, I like to butterfly it so I can cook it quickly and have less chance of overcooking. Throw it in the marinade for 1 to 3 hours.

Chicken Marinade & Prep

  • Olive Oil (enough to cover the chicken)
  • Juice of one lemon
  • 4 or 5 cloves of garlic (mashed)
  • Fresh rosemary or thyme
  • Lots of fresh ground black pepper
  • Splash of dry white wine (optional)
  • Marinate 2 boneless chicken breasts (1 whole breast)
  • Remove from marinade and salt and pepper it up.
  • Throw on a Hot grill or in the broiler and cook until done.
  • Remove and let rest.

Salad

  • Romaine Lettuce (enough for 4 people or how ever many you are serving)
  • 1 Avocado (diced and sprinkled lightly with salt)
  • 1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Good quality…be sure to taste alone)
  • ¼ cup Balsamic Vinegar
  • Generous grinding of black pepper
  • Blue Cheese for sprinkling
  • Whisk the Oil and Vinegar together and toss with the salad. Do not saturate the salad…this is NOT TGIFridays.
  • Gently stir in the avocado.
  • Sprinkle with blue cheese (a little or a lot, depending on your own taste buds)
  • Put salad in chilled bowls
  • Slice chicken and place on top of the salad
  • Hit it with pepper one more time if you like

Enjoy!!!

Jason

No comments: