Thursday, December 22, 2005

Wine Review: 1995 Estancia Duo


(Sorry about the poor picture) I'm sure you're surprised to read a wine review of a 1995 blend (Cab and Sangiovese) opened in 2005. Well, don't read it if you don't believe it. Otherwise...

I collected a large amount of wine in 1995 - 1997. I have probably 40 or so bottles left from that time period, and open them whenever I feel like it. My latest offering was a 1995 Estancia Duo, a blend of Cabernet (70%) and Sangiovese (30%). Normally, a wine like this would have a shelf life of maybe 3 - 5 years, but not this bottle. It was great after 10 years!

The wine was certainly light bodied and juicy, which was surprising given the date I opened it. Also, after taking off the foil wrapper, I noticed some leakage. I don't like to waste wine, so I tried it and am glad that I did. Even with leakage and age, this wine held together.

Fruity, simple, and light, not overly tannic and refreshing aroma, this wine was worth the $10 or so bucks I spent a while back. It reminded me of a beaujolais.

It went well with a spicy ravioli I threw together.

~ Brock

No comments: