Monday, December 12, 2005

Starbuck's v. Sambuck's

Call it what you will, but trademark owners should be able to protect their property. Yes, Starbuck's was able to cause a coffee shop owner to change her name and logo. And, many reports on this case have made it sound like this is the big guy beating up on the little guy, but what's the point of having trademark law if it's not for everyone to use, including the "big guys"?

Victoria's Secret sued Victor's Secret, but couldn't force it to change it's name. Starbuck's sues Sambuck's and can. It's knee-jerk reaction when people cry foul simply because the underdog remains the underdog.

Just my opinion!

~ Brock

4 comments:

Traci said...

I LOVE your blog! Please keep all the recipes coming!!! I made the cream gravy for the first time and it was ALMOST better than my husbands'!! Of course, he has been making it all his life. I'm going to try your black beans next!!

Brock Shinen, Esq. said...

Good to hear someone enjoys it!! What's your husband's secret?

Thanks for the comment, and we'll keep 'em coming!

Traci said...

He says that the sausage leftovers are much better than the bacon, which I used. You probably knew that, though. And, he's from Arkansas and has been doing it much longer than I have.

Brock Shinen, Esq. said...

Arkansas...that's where my recipe originates. Specifically, Scranton, Arkansas. One of my family's favorites passed down. I prefer sausage as well, but I've been experimenting with bacon recently.

On a nice Saturday morning, over-easy eggs, sausage gravy, homemade biscuits, sausage, grits, hash browns...it's a heart-stopping meal, but worth every bite!