Monday, June 27, 2005

You Can't Be Serious...El Torito???

There aren't many restaurants I won't try, but once I do, I know there will always be the good, the bad and the ugly. So, I'm always intrigued to find out how someone else feels about a place I've tried. Now, aside from the OC/LA Weekly, I don't really trust any other restaurant listing, because most of what's listed in other publications is crap. Case in point: The Annual 2005-2006 Entertainment & City Guide for "the cities of Brea and Placentia." I received it in the mail last week and did a quick browse. Here's what I found...

1. You open the first page and you have a listing for a Brea realtor and an Italian restaurant in Anaheim Hills. What, this guide couldn't even get started with a true "Entertainment" or "City" listing within the geographic location for which it was created? A poor start.

2. Page 3 is an ad for a clothing retailer with locations in Costa Mesa and Huntington Beach. Nothing "entertaining" or "city-worthy" but what the heck, because we haven't even hit the "contents" page and I'm sure this publication needs financial support from the suckers on pages 1 - 3.

3. The table of contents lists all kinds of good stuff, "events," "recreation," "dining," etc. I flip quickly to the "dining" section in hopes of a good find, then, like I suspected it would, it comes crumbling down. Now, I must point out, that this publication is obviously not printed for "entertainment and city" life in Brea and Placentia. In fact, it's worthless unless you don't care what you eat. I don't mind the reach, but whatever.

Let's take a look at some of the "Top Dining Destinations"...Cuban, no mention of Felix's anywhere. How could they? Mexican - El Torito? El Cholo? LEFT AT ALBUQUERQUE????? Who put this together anyway? Obviously, this person has never had a good Mexican meal (notably, the 3 Mexican eateries listed have locations in the very white-washed towns of Irvine and Corona Del Mar). So, can you really trust a publication that doesn't even mention Q Torta? Or the Old Towne area of Placentia? Or the entire city of Santa Ana? This is preposterous. Then, for the "international" section, they list Hawaiian, Spanish, British, Vietnamese, and Armenian. Wow, such a diverse listing (ha ha ha) and, by the way, Hawaiian is not international. Oh, Pho 79 isn't as good as Pho 99, or Pho 88, or Pho 90 (I think the number of these places has something do with the quality).

I was disgusted by the listing, so I thought I'd check out the website for this piece of junk which is "proudly" published by OCspots Corporation. The website has all the same contents, but none of them are active (i.e., it's basically a static page with a table of contents that goes no where). Good going.

Well, in all fairness, if I complain about it, then I should do something about it, right? Here are a few of my own "top destinations" in OC (using the same categories as the booklet):

American: I have no idea, because I don't really eat "American" food very often. Claim Jumper? Steamers in Yorba Linda? Paul's country kitchen? This is a tough one for me. I know, I know, what a way to retort, but like I said, I don't really eat American, because it's usually all chain restaurants and nothing stands out. Oh, for good 'ol Texas BBQ, try the place off Lake Forest Drive at the 5 fwy (next to Diablo's, Inka Grill, Wahoo's, etc.).

California Cuisine: Even more difficult. I'm not sure I've ever had California cuisine.

Chinese: A&J and O Shine are top picks in the Chinese populated area of Jeffrey off the 5 fwy (Irvine). Tea Zone (off State College and Chapman, Fullerton) offers a decent offering of snack meals. Note: These places offer authentic Chinese, so don't expect egg foo yung (which most Chinese people will tell you they've never heard of). For Dim Sum, try the seafood restaurant facing Jeffrey just south of Walnut. For Boba: Tea Zone - the best in North OC (Fullerton) or Tapioca Express (Fullerton), not bad, but a little strong on the Coconut.

Continental: I have been to the Hobbit, which was great. And, Orange Hill offers a great brunch. I wasn't impressed with the Summit House at all. Again, not even sure what "continental" is.

Cuban: Felix's, hands down (Orange circle).

French: The Cellar (Fullerton).

That's enough for this post. More to come later. You'll notice that many of the links are to "let's eat OC." While I frequent that page for listings, many of them are outdated.

~ Brock

No comments: