Thursday, June 16, 2005

It Won't Be An Indian Summer...

...and I'm not talking about the weather. It was midafternoon yesterday when I decided to make an Indian meal from scratch. Simple - somosas and chicken tikka masala. Checked the ingredients - no problem. Checked the recipe - two hours, tops. Then it all came crashing down. I started working on the meal around 4:30pm. By 6:30, my wife was asking me when it would be ready. "Soon, honey," I said. By 7:30, she started "snacking"; I told her not to spoil her appetite. By 8:30, we were both ready to shoot ourselves and still had a half hour to go. By 9 or so, it was ready. Now, understand that fresh ingredients never quite taste like the restaurant (for better or worse) and mine tasted great, but certainly wasn't what we were both craving. So, my verdict: I will never make an Indian meal from scratch again. For one, these recipes involve 15 or more components, unlike the 3 or 4 required for your average Itialian or Chinese. Next, you have to cook, cool, blend, cook some more, add some more, blend some more, then cook some more. It takes way too long!

So, I'll stick to Cost Plus' collection of pre-prepared Indian sauces and mixes and just add chicken.

2 comments:

J@VLG said...

Wow! Sorry to hear you had such a rough time of it. But why were you making tikka massala? It's boring and apparently difficult. I wish I could comment more but since I have never prepared and Indian meal, I think I should just shut it...for now. I'll try something in the next few weeks.

As far as difficult...this looks pretty damn easy.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cooking/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_20111,00.html

Brock Shinen, Esq. said...

Yeah, I guess it's not that it's too complicated. More of the massive amount of prep time and cooking time