Saturday, June 18, 2005

The Apple Fritter Marathon

I can run a 10K. Heck, I can probably run a marathon right now (though I've never tried). But how, I wonder, when I eat apple fritters at least three times a month. Or for that matter when I gorge myself senseless with every good meal, paying special attention to the carbs, butters and sugars. I guess it's the intersection of my love for food and my love for exercise. Growing up and through high school, I was a slim jim that ate nothing but health. TVP (textured vegetable protein) and carob (that pseudo-choc/cardboard stuff) were a regular part of my diet. I was a great swimmer and ran cross-country. Then, I went to college. I still ran cross-country, but no one told me that cereal was available 24 hours a day in the cafeteria. Maybe that's where it started. The damn Lucky Charms. The "luck of the Irish." Now I eat enough for three grown men, while running, swimming, boxing, hiking, etc., on a daily basis.

Now I think my wife is trying to kill me. For father's day (oops, a day early - darn) she bought me Williams-Sonoma's "Desserts." It is freakin' awesome. Sure, I asked her to buy it for me, so maybe it wasn't like she hired a hit man, but I'm just praying it doesn't kill me. I'm determined to make every single recipe in that book. Anyway, how can I stay healthy and do that?

So I'm stuck in a daily love triangle of food and exercise. I cheat on exercise with food and cheat on food with exercise. They're both Jezebels. I hate it, but I can't stop it. Why should I?

~ Brock

1 comment:

LTA said...

I'd have to agree, Brock. My wife picked up this album a few weeks ago and I started listening to it when I would drive the kids around in her car. Now it's on my iPod and I haven't gotten sick of it. Very cool.