Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Wine Review: Vina Alarba Calatayud


I'm not a wine snob, so I'll try just about anything at least once (except for white wine, because I'm a red wine snob). That led me to a trip to Wine Exchange in Orange, looking to buy three bottles for under $25 - total. Here's a review of the first:

This is an excellent wine for the price (I think it was $7.99). 2003 Vina Alarba Old Vines Grenache (Spain). It has a great ruby color, and was as good on the first day as it was on the third. Very earthy, not fruity or complex. Tastes of pepper, coffee and earth. Smooth, with no aftershock, and medium bodied to bring it all together.

This wine worked well with a turkey burger, and I suppose it would be great with beef, chicken and maybe even a spicy dish.

Try it (anyway, what's the big deal to spend under $8)!

91 Points.

~ Brock

1 comment:

Brock Shinen, Esq. said...

I made ground beef Kabobs last night and had this wine with them...worked great.