Monday, November 14, 2005

Wine Labels Sell Wine

If you know me or follow my posts, you know that I'm not a wine dork. I can't tell you what years were good in what region of what state (or country, for that matter). When I drink a good bottle, I know if I like it. If I do, I try to describe it. If I don't like it, then who the hell cares. But my posting about the Penfolds wine got me thinking...if you've never heard of a particular wine, what makes you buy it? With music, you can listen first. With books, you can scan the inside. With wine you can what? Yeah, I tried smelling the bottle, but that didn't help. So, you're left with the label. That's it. That's all.

I notice that I like a few labels: Caymus, Far Niente and Cakebread Cellars.

And some I don't: Rodney Strong, Beaulieu, and Atlas Peak.

There are, of course, many, many others that I like and don't like (and the label doesn't usually correspond to a good wine, does it?).

So, I wonder, is there a direct link between the "coolness" of a wine's label and sales for that wine?

~ Brock

No comments: